Lane County Commissioners Try Preemptive Strike Against Paid Sick Leave

The Eugene City Council is poised to pass a landmark ordinance on paid sick leave, which is good news for workers in the city. Everybody should be able to take a sick day when their health requires it without having to worry about missing a paycheck—or working while sick and spreading illnesses.

Eugene would join a growing number of municipalities providing such protections for working people.

But the Lane County Commissioners are trying to push through three ordinances that are an attempt to undercut the Eugene City Council’s efforts. It would be a preemptive strike against the city, but highly unlikely to stop the policy. Paid sick leave has the strong support of too many community groups, leaders, and voters to be stopped by the tinkering of the county commission.

Sneeze

On Monday morning, the Commission is holding a hearing on their three proposals. The County scheduled their hearing for just before the City was scheduled to hold its own. Expect much grandstanding.

The County Commissioners, of course, aren’t openly admitting that they don’t want to provide such basic protections for workers. Instead, they’ve shrouded their opposition in “process” and “authority.” Despite the commissioners’ claims, their efforts won’t actually block the Eugene City Council from voting on–or implementing–paid sick leave.

From the Register Guard:

Commissioner Sid Leiken said the board was acting in response to a jurisdictional “overreach” by the City Council in attempting to control businesses outside the city limits.

“What we’re talking about here is way beyond sick leave,” he said. “This is about establishing who has authority, who doesn’t, and how (these types of issues) resolve themselves in the future.”

The folks at Everybody Benefits Eugene, the campaign in favor of the sick leave policy, have collected thousands of letters in support of the ordinance. To add your story and name to the petition, go here: http://everybodybenefitseugene.org/

23 Responses to “Lane County Commissioners Try Preemptive Strike Against Paid Sick Leave”

1. Hypocrits

Pretty hypocritical for Our Oregon (public emplyee unions) to support a law that violates Article 1 Section 21 of the Oregon Constitution’s prohibition on passing laws that violate exisitng contracts. The unions used that section to in court argumants to invalidate PERS reforms. I guess implied contracts between empoyers and employees are only good when they work in AFSCME’s, SEIU’s and OEA’s favor.

2. Jocelyn

It is perfect time too make a few plans for thhe long run and
    it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could
    I wish to counsel you some interesting things or advice.
    Maybe you could write next articles regarding this
    article. I wish to read even more things about it!

Feel free tto surf to my webpage – engagement ring designs,
    Haley,

3. Latosha

Known as unboxing video clips, they’re racking up numerous
    countless sights from young people (and also adults)
    oddly paralyzed by the surprise within say, a Kinder egg.

My weblog unboxing hoverboard segway

4. Stefan

% Full numbers are below. In reaction to results, shares were up 1.
    Reuters/Lucy NicholsonTim CookApple delivered another strong quarter of earnings Monday afternoon. The bulk of the return will come through buybacks.

Stop by my blog post … where to download
    android apk (magazine.joomla.org)

5. Ashleigh

I every single time used to study piece of creating in information papers
    today as I am a user of web so from currently I am utilizing web for reviews or posts, thanks to internet.

Feel free to surf to my web site … cable internet
    service providers my area (Eugenia)

6. Virgilio

LeBlanc, an enthusiastic computer game fan, uploaded videos of his ventures
    on the video game Minecraft, with some videos racking
    up as lots of as 100,000 sights.

Feel free to surf to my web site unboxing iphone 6s plus space grey
    (Brodie)

7. Cinda

But while Hunter comprehends how her video clips could fill up
    a gap, she’s not necessarily completely comfortable with it.
    Her most ardent followers are toddlers that can barely talk.

Have a look at my website: unboxing hoverboard bluetooth
    [Chastity]

8. Brianne

The following example shows an instance of invalid unboxing as well as the
    resulting InvalidCastException.

my blog – unboxing videos toddlers, Fabian,

9. http://www./

That boots, sock, and tights combo is awesome. You rock the shredded tights!Haha, I like the party decoration. Its message is so very very true.

10. walmart in balch springs

Hi Mr Avery and class,You have been very busy with your skyping. I think it is fantastic that you had the opportunity to learn about the life of a soldier through Skype. This provided the children with the opportunity to ask questions which are meaningful to them. They may not have been able to find the answers in a book. The kite project sounds fantastic. I am going to look this up and have a think about taking part next year if possible.You have a very creative classroom. Miss Docherty and the Brilliant Bloggers

11. Latisha

Got another question for you mark. I would lik to use a better dac with my tp30, is the aux input analogue and does it bypass the internal dac?Thanks in advance for your good advice and merry christmas to you and yoevK.surin.

12. http://www./

Rob, I see what you’re saying. However, the application is accessible over the web via a web browser. That fits the definition of "web application". So, no matter the logic behind such a poor implementation, it’s still a poor solution to the problem.

13. Tiger

quale di questi fornisce una puolbicazibne sfogliabile anche da smartphone? Ho provato il primo ma è impossibile guardare qualcosa da smartphone perchè non supporta correttamente input touchscreen!!

14. http://www./

Climbing is fun. If you have some joint problems you might want to take it easy, but it’s fun at any level. No such thing as too old.Old faded standard fit jeans that say “real men don’t wear spandex”, when seen on truly difficult routes = cool.Skinny jeans for style = not cool.But then, I’m a climber, not a boulderer.

15. best auto insurane rates Catonsville, Maryland

bizarre |biˈzär|adjectivevery strange or unusual, esp. so as to cause interest or amusementA scan usually produces a single layer JPG or TIFF document.A multilayered PDF document with unreproducible anomalies is very strange and unusual.Thanks for asking.

16. Lakisha

Quick question: What happened to the links above the adieetvsemrnt video on the right side of the homepage? The ones that let you look at my videos, favorites, and other stuff. Did something happen during an upgrade? I'd like them back, please. :(

17. fifa 14 ultimate team coin generator

i live in holland which is next to germany, i even live like 15KM from the border and i dont speak or understand german.im glad you did it in english…and to the people bitching about it being stolen, try find a youtube tutorial that no one ever did before you! good luck have fun good game good night!

or:
  • (will not be published)